He is one of the four vassals killed by trying to restore the throne of King Danjong, and is regarded as the most representative loyal subject.
His family clan is Changnyeong, other name is Geunbo/Nulong, pen name is Maejukheon, and poet’s pen name is Chungmun. His father was Seung, working for government in a Dochonggwan position. When he was born in his mother’s family in Hongju, Noeungol, there was an echo from the heaven asking “is he born yet?” three times. It is said that it was how they named him as ‘Sammun (三問, asking three times)'.
He passed the test for Saengwon in 1435, passed Shiknyeon test in 1438, and won the first place in a state examination in liberal arts in 1447. After he was appointed as a scholar in Jiphyeonjeon (Hall of Worthies in Joseon Dynasty), he worked with Jeong Inji, Shin Sukju, Choi Hang, Park Paengnyeon, Yi Gae, etc. to make Hunminjeongeum, receiving an order from King Sejong. In particular, until proclaiming Humnimjeongeum in 1446, he worked with Shin Sukju on precise phoneme learning it from Whangchan, a Hanrim scholar from Ming who was exiled at that time staying in Yodong. He also followed the Ming ambassador to Ming researching on the system of phoneme and Buddhism script.
When Suyangdaegun, a King’s brother took the throne from his young nephew, Danjong, Seong attempted to restore the throne by killing Suyangdaegun working with his father Seong Seung, Yi Gae, Ha Wihi, Yu Eungbu, Park Paengnyeon, Yu Seongwon, etc. However, it failed and put him to death by dismemberment along with his entire family.
His post was restored in 1691, and was promoted to the minister of interior in 1758. He was given with a posthumous epithet of Chungmun. In 1676, Confucians from Yiryang and Hoseo built a shrine close to his old house, and also asked the government to set it up together with ‘Four Loyal Subjects’. The government named the shrine as a Nokeun lecture hall, and it was renamed as Noeun later. It was closed by Heungseondaewongun’s ordinace of closing lecture halls. Afterward, Confucians set up the tablets of ‘Four Loyal Subjects’ naming it as Noeundan, hodling a memorial service.
In 1954, Gojeokhyunchang Association in Hongseong repaired the altar. Noeundan Maintenance Committee holds a memorial service every year on October 15th in lunar calendar.
Nokeun lecture hall was established in 1676 and was renamed as Noeun lecture hall later. After a while, it was closed in accordance with the closing ordinance by Heungseondaewongun, only left with the remains of the building.
‘Yuheobi’ is a memorial stone to pay a tribute to ancestors and to pass it down to future generations at the place where once ancestors lived. It was where Song Siyeol was born in 1668 but became an ominous place after that. So people erected the stone and recently built a monument house to preserve the stone. The stone was engraved with Song Siyeol’s writing and Kim Jinsang’s handwriting.
After Noeun lecture hall that had been established in 1676 was closed in accordance with the closing ordinance by Heunsundaewongun, local confucians built a podium with ancestral tablets of Seong Sammun, Park Paengnyeon, etc. Then they named it as Noeundan holding a memorial service on October 10th of the lunar calendar every year.