Han was the second son of father Han Eungjun (a descendant of Han Myungbo, Seowongun of Han family in Cheongju) and mother On Yangbang, and was born at Bakcheoldong Jambanggul in Seonggokli Gyulseongmyun on August 29th, 1879. His childhood name is Yucheon, and his real name is Jeongok. His Buddhist name is Yongwun, and his Buddhist pen name is Manhae. He learned Chinese classics in Seodanggol of Seonggokli at the age of 6. At the age of 9, he was well versed in arts and science which made him known as a prodigy in the neighborhood.
When Japanese Government General of Korea announced to inspect Chosun in 1911 in order to bring Korean Buddhsim under complete control of Japanese Buddhism and also to control every right of temples, he started a movement against it. Then he wrote Philosophy of Chosun Buddhism Reformation taking the lead in revolutionizing the Buddhism of Korea. As one of 33 representatives of Korea, he played a major role in declaring independence. After reading the declaration of independence, he was arrested by Japanese police and was held in Seodaemun prison. While being imprisoned, he wrote a famous writing known as ‘Declaring the independence of Chosun (朝鮮獨立 書)’.
In 1926, he published a collection of 88 poems called ‘Silence of Love'. He had unyieldly noble belifs and principles so that he never compromised with Japanese Colonial Government and devoted himself to his country’s independence. He passed away in Simwoojang, Seongbukdong, Seoul On June 19th, 1944. He was buried next to his wife Yu at the top of mountain in Mangwudong, Jungranggu, Seoul.
Hongseonggun Office restored the house of Han’s birth at his birthplace in Seonggokli, Gyungseongmyeon and built a shrine. It is still in the process of reconstructing the surrounding area.
It is the birthplace of Manhae, Han Yongwun who was an independence activist, a Buddhist monk, and a poet, located at Seonggokli, Gyeolseongmyeon, Hongseonggun, Chungcheongnamdo. It is built in the sunny place with a hill behind it. The original house was demolished but in order to preserve the region as a historic site, it was restored starting from his birthplace in 1992. Other than his birthplace, local government built a shrine, three gates, management office, public washroom, etc. also reconstructing surrounding area.
The house was built to have 3 rooms in the front and 2 rooms at the side. One extra on both sides was built to use them as storage. The fence was surrounded with bush clovers. An outdoor washroom was built with clay bricks.
It was designated as a memorial No. 75 by Chungcheongnamdo Government on December 24th 1989.
After restoring his birthplace, a shrine was built to hold his portrait.
It was built to set his work as an indication of national spirit, and also to instill/strengthen the spiril of Hongju with him as the pivotal figure.
The status of Han in a traditional Korean clothing holds a 3•1 declaration of independence in his left hand. His favorite poem, ‘Silence of Love’ was engraved on the right side of podium.
The writing was written by Jeong Hanseop, an advisor of Korea Art Association. Kang Taeseong, a professor of Ewha Womens’ University sculpted the statue.
The experience hall was built in 2007 in front of Han’s birthplace to commemorate his spirit and philosophy. On the first floor, it has a multimedia room showing his lifetime achievement and also exhibits his personal items. There is a children’s learning center next to it. On the second floor, there are a seminar room and a writing room.